Friday, July 6, 2012

Ideas (continued)...



(to be continued)

High school: Wearing a Letterman's jacket as a jock, and, having a pecking order implanted in my behavior, I can confess that I too became a bully. One would think that, because of my experience having been the target of bullying, I would have some compassion for others like me. No... that didn't happen. Most certainly, I carefully picked my fights and only pushed around boys I thought I could beat. In those day, (I'm not so sure what happens these days), it was common for any encounter to proceed similarly: Usually in the hallways between classes a challenge was thrown down and it was agreed that we would meet somewhere after classes to scrap. All the rest of the day, as word got around, a crowd would gather at the chosen and agreed on meeting place. One such popular place was the parking lot behind Ron's drive-in. Sometimes I picked the fight; other times, I was picked by someone who wished to acquire or keep, I suppose, a position in the pecking order. By then it would have been a great shame for one or the other to back down. I can remember going through the rest of my classes with a gnawing in my gut, fighting off the fear, pumping up the courage in front of my classmates to face what was going to go down.
*****

My last fight in high school was with a friend I once sparred with (as he had been training for boxing in the Golden Gloves). I was a junior in high-school at the time, as we were about to slug it out, I became aware of a disgust for the crowd that had gathered. My contempt grew... I saw the viciousness of their thirst for a good fight. We threw punches... aware of each other's abilities... kept a distance between blows... hearing the jeers of the crowd... we danced around each other, avoiding blows as best we could.... I'm not sure who began it, but we both grinned at each other as we played like we were Cassius Clay... laughed at ourselves, laughing at the silliness of it all... the blood-thirst of our audience... suddenly, in a shared moment of clarity, both dropped our arms...put them around our shoulders walking out as the Red Sea of our taunters parted before us. I heard from one punk; "Queers!... Why don't you kiss each other!"

We stopped… challenged the loud-mouthed coward to come out and face either one of us. When nobody came forward we walked away, joined our mutual friends, drove up into the hills away from the scene drank vodka and a case of beer at Booze Rock. Drunk... spayed out face up on the hood of a 1950 Ford, I swore to a full moon I'd seek out peace with... I don't know... I was very drunk. But my bullying stopped in the light of the full moon. Sometimes, late at night or in moments of quiet, I think of my adolescent behavior and am proud of us both for what we did but ashamed for those I picked on before. It was a moment of clarity.
My first step against bullying came during a time when I was still a respected athlete (even though I had recently been kicked off the track and cross country teams). I still wore my Letterman's jacket so I attended a Lettermen's Club meeting that was called to deal with the topic of Beatle haircuts, stove pipe pants, Mod coats and Beatle boots. It is hard to believe now when I think of it. The hair would be considered short by the standards of only a few years later. One of our coaches showed up at the meeting to bring up the topic and voice his disdain for these punks. It was agreed by the group… mine was the only dissenting vote… to confront the boys dressed this way and the idea was to clip the hair of the first one seen after the meeting. I was outraged and followed them out into the hallway where they circled one of my friends, a leader of a garage band. He was of slight build and certainly not a threat to anyone. One of the massive football jocks had his scissors out and the poor kid by the scruff of his neck about to carry through with the Lettermen's Club decision when I elbowed my way into the circle… "If you are going to cut hair, start with mine!"

The jock didn't know what to do. My action completely threw him off guard and the others in the circle of blue Lettermen jackets went silent.. their jeers of "faggot" and "queer" ceased.

One from the circle finally sputtered, "...but you are one of us?"

I had a righteous cause now and I jumped at the opportunity to say, "You cut his hair, you might as well cut mine too, if you do that, I'm NOT one of you."

By that time a teacher saw what was happening and broke up the cowardly circle. I walked away feeling as though I had to do something more about it. I wrote a manifesto and described the incident and the role of the school administration. It was too controversial for the school newspaper. My dad had an old mimeograph machine from the old days when he owned a tire shop. I broke out the mimeograph machine and, though I composed it, my handwriting was sloppy and recognizable; I had Rich, L. hand-write an my anonymous posts in an almost perfect script.

We placed may manifesto on our school's bulletin board, whose space was for posting student events and comments. It was taken down almost immediately as the staff noticed the attention it got from gathering students. We posted it again and again and managed to do so covertly with an update numbering the times it had been removed.. I felt like I was in the French Resistance or something… exposing the administration's complicity in haranguing the unorthodoxy of Mod style hair cuts and attire. I titled my manifesto: PHID… the Preservation of Human Individualism and Dignity. Fid being a mariner term in Webster's: a pin of hard wood or steel that tapers to a point and is used in opening strands of rope.

Then there was a Memorial Day assembly. At that assembly a groups of us… some were jocks who wanted to fit in with the rebels and some were just in on the fun as we joked and poked fun with hoots and disruptions of the various speakers. I wasn't, but they were shocked, as our Vive Principal called out a half dozen names over the intercom at closing announcements ending the assembly. One by one, loud and clear, we were ordered to show up in his office. What happened in that office was a real eye opener for me; a new respect was garnered for the man I had only considered an authority, and an enemy. Also, a heightened disgust for my fellow jocks and classmates was enflamed as much. The students I sat with in the office were respected jocks too but I lost all respect for them as our Vice Principal spoke about his time as a Marine on Iwo Jima and his pals he lost there. My cohorts on the bench were crying… but not from Rasmussen's admonition about honor and respect… One cried out indignantly; "Why did you call out our names over the intercom where everyone could hear it… I have a reputation!" The others protested in agreement.

My God, I thought, these guys didn't hear a word "ole Razz" said. I held my peace and hung my head in shame. No tears… no protests. I hadn't thought about what Memorial Day meant. Hell, my dad was with the Third Army in Europe. What did I think I was doing?

Razz dismissed the others but told Rich and me to stay seated. After the others left he spoke directly to me, "Thank you for listening. I'm proud that you two didn't cry like babies."

I had nothing to say and felt it wasn't enough but I answered, "I'm sorry Razz, I wasn't thinking…"

"That is what I mean," then he changed the subject, "I know that you two are the ones posting on the bulletin board."

"Uh, how do you figure?" Rich said… looking aside at me for support, he continued, "We had nothing to do with it."

"It doesn't matter to me. If you want it printed, clean up the language and present it to the Bear (our school paper) and have printed legit… can you try that?"


"Sure, sounds good to me. I'll suggest it to…" I offered, trying not to blow my cover.

"Rich, you can go now." He then gestured towards me. I want to have a few more words with you though."

*****

After Rich left he brought up another subject that completely smashed any respect I might have had towards my fellow jocks.

"It is a good thing that you are still working out in the gym," I kept up my discipline and tried stay in shape hoping to be back on the team in the spring.

He continued, "I'm not accusing you and I don't believe you are doing it but there has been a theft… a wallet taken from a locker and you are the number one suspect."

"What the fuck?"

"Like I said, I don't agree but you are banned from the gym."

"But I'm not the thief!... Look Razz, … someone's got to back me on this."

"Can't do it… Coaches agree with your accusers and it is their gym."

I knew it was because I stood up against the hazing… pissed off the wrong people. I was done with it for sure after that.

*****

Then there was sexual conduct. What I thought of as mere sexual aggressiveness was a part of my belligerent attitude back then too. In those days, if a girl got pregnant (referred to as "knocked-up") she had to leave school and, either go to what was called an unwed mother's home (usually a Catholic run joint) or drop out of school altogether. Some, with the means, disappeared a few weeks for a mysterious trip to Mexico. But most usually they got married at a horribly young age with disastrous consequences... before "the pill". Luckily, I never got anyone pregnant that I know of but most of my sexual encounters among my "jock" friends could be described as date-rape today. Sex, for most of the girls, was a high risk adventure, at best, but a lifetime punishment for most.

There was one girl who, it was commonly known, would "put out" to almost anyone. It was said that she once took on the whole football team... again, it was said. All one had to do was knock on her door when her dad was at work... no mom...divorced perhaps... don't know. My friend and I went to her door one day and, to our dismay, dad answered the door. He told us that she was no longer living there and that we ought never come back.

My conscience aches at the memory of the look on his face all these years later. I still didn't "get it" about how I was to treat women but it was a start. I saw in his face a human being deeply hurt and concerned about his daughter and disgust at the way we had participated...

It was a start... feeble as it was...  at becoming an adult... perhaps human.

No comments:

Post a Comment