Monday, June 18, 2018

Time's Up --- Half of a Half-arsed Reflection. (Answer to a young girl telling me that I'm only as old as I think).

   
   Time... without getting all Einstein about it, I know a little about time... it's running out for me. I had plenty of it once. A young girl told me that we are only as old as we think. My physician might differ and so does my calendar.

   I remember things from the past. #1 was how I felt about time. I never felt as though I had enough of it. Not really... even when I sang along with Mick and the boys time was never on my side. It was always marching and the Monster-Faker of it was that there was no stamp that guaranteed I would have another day... another minute... another second... of it.

    When did we start measuring it? Again, my intention isn't to get all Einstein about it. This is personal. I am trying to wrap my head around time because logically I don't have much left... so much for only being as old as I think sweetheart.... don't worry, I'm not trying to win an argument... just stating a fact. I started measuring it right away... well, as early as I can remember right away. I watched the shadow of the sun move around a coke bottle in Copeland Park. We lived there until I was four, so it had to be within that span that I saw it move.

   I remember catching the school bus before I was enrolled in kindergarten and riding it because I wanted to go where my sisters went. I was discovered and sent back home... beaten by time again. My sisters taunted me saying I was too little... no one said too young... they said too little because they hadn't equated time with size. I took comfort in that because I was already a time genius and knew that the odds were in my favor that I had more time to live since they were older. Older is another word indicating that it has nothing to do with what I think of it.... no more than saying I'm only as tall as you think, honey. 

   It amazes me to this day how confused a dial clock's face was to me. When did we learn that? First or second grade?... nah, it couldn't have been as late as the third. Digital clocks are easier for kids, I hear. That's too bad because they might begin to think that there is no history to, or future for, time... it's a bunch of Buddha type of here and now stuff and that's all time is. 

   This isn't where I meant to go with this. I wanted to write about time and history and then I got intimate about it. Damn it, and now I'm out of time to write anything more profound than this. 

    Time's up for this half-arsed reflection.

1 comment:

  1. I love it, George! I know the feeling of that unknown "use by" date getting close -- and there's so much more to write! Type fast!

    ReplyDelete