Monday, May 28, 2012

Another Taxi Moment


Journal entry:
05/13/01 – Sunday (22:10):
Quite a week…
I actually made enough to pay Dr. R what I owe him (for my new teeth)… just enough counting what I might make tonight.
There is a character that lives at 1034 Bath who imagines himself  to be a big time player in the cocaine arena. I’ve picked him up at all of the posh places in Hope Ranch or up in the hills at one ostentatious mini-mansion or another from time to time.  I usually refuse the call whenever I realize who I’m being dispatched to. The guy is so damned overbearing about his cocaine use… always offering me some and chiding me when I refuse.
            I picked up one of his dumb blondes earlier and she, to my dismay, directs me to a familiar address... a punk that I don’t quite recognize gets in my cab. She is pleasant enough but, as soon as he got in the back seat with her, he asks, “Do you want me in your taxi?”
            Red flag… means I’ve had trouble with this jerk before. I turned to give him a good looking over and I couldn’t quite place him… so I said something to this effect, “Don’t see why not… unless you give me a reason… I know nothing of you at this point.”
            He relaxed and, as we rolled out of the long driveway, he gave me his address… I don't always remember the faces but I do always recall the adresses... Oh no… not this punk again!
            Sure enough… on the way he starts his shit… passed a crack-pipe up to me and asked, “You want a hit?”
            “No thanks…”
            “You want a hit… " now demanding, "I can tell… you are an old hand at this. Eh, cabbie?”
            So many of them… coke punks… think they are being outrageous when all that they are doing is acting incredibly stupid…. nothing at all that original.
            He asked me the most commonly asked question I get asked by these types, “What is the kinkiest thing that has gone down in your cab? Has anyone fucked in your back seat? Would you let them do it and watch?”
            Annoyed, I answered, “What excites me probably wouldn’t interest you at all.”
            “Try one,” he challenged.
            We were a block from his house, “The most exciting thing for me is when I pull up to our destination and unload another fare after I take his money.”
            He reacted as though I had insulted him by trying to get more outrageous... tipped me an extra five bucks while stuffing more coke down his already coked up nose, "C'mon, have some blow, Bro… On me.”
            “Thank you for patronizing me but no thanks, again.”
            The chick caught it and laughed… wasn’t so dumb after all… but he had no idea what I meant.
            I see coke dealers and small time mules and I see plenty of the attitude that goes with it. I see a trail of extortion and murder… foreign policy decisions and so on that leave a bloody tragedy from Central America to the ghettos and suburbs here. A certain amnesia and apathy choking America in a moral atrophy that is too sad to be taken less than seriously…

(03:00) Angie: slipping sickly, skinny, pretty, big-titted-cokehead doll I know from AA. She’s on her way to score so she wasn’t all to happy to see me driving the cab… didn’t expect to see an asshole from the meetings to be helming a taxi in the middle of the night. 
        
She tried to act happy to see me but I saw her brow contort as she closed the door. “Just going to see a friend… Max.” Then she thought better of it, “Don’t snitch me out, okay?”
             “No, Hon, there is a cabbie code of silence, y’know.” 
“Take me to 1034 Bath.”
 She had no idea how much I care.

No comments:

Post a Comment