Tuesday, April 5, 2022

April in Paris

 Hotel Verlaine 04/06/22


Getting Boarding tickets and going through security was made so much easier having TSA Precheck & etc. .I forgot to do that last trip. By all means, well worth the little cost and trouble.

 First flight from ABQ to Dallas was uneventful as it was annoying. It is a smaller plane and most cramped. Two women, one was late 50ish and the other early Forty-something, were my seatmates. I had the window seat and the elder of the two had the middle. I tried to be friendly... at least polite... I didn't try to open up a conversation, nor would I ever have a chance were I so inclined. 

 They were chatterboxes exclusively with each other. I thought of Vonnegut's description of falloons (sp?) and grand falloons... insolated & isolated self-exclusive pairings. They were nonstop with a codependence of worry when the flight didn't take off on time. Of course, they chattered through the pilot's explanation of why the flight was being held on the tarmac... something about a technicality with the order of things from the tower.

 I strained to hear announcements above their constant blabber but gave up. They both had their cell phones out the whole time this delay was going on. They showed each other photos of children and grandchildren... then it was of a remodel of a house and they showed each other houses where they live and talked-talked-talked.... then chattered-chattered-chattered then talked some more. I thought my audiobook would save me but they made the wait seem an eternity on the tarmac. 

 This went on about a half hour delay hearing the two go from showing pics to worrying about connecting flights etc.... asking each other, not me, what the problem was... their fantasies over-rode any real information that might have been gleaned from the pilot's announcements on the intercom. The pilot did keep us updated but they didn't hear a word of it. At first I had the urge to inform them but I couldn't have gotten a word in edgewise had I tried... Reminds me of prayer that doesn't listen for the answer.

 All the way from ABQ to DFW they worried and chattered. I realized they were most content with worrying and had no desire to be comforted. The truth is that connecting flights are the responsibility of the airlines and would be easily accommodated or compensated for the troubles.

 I had a couple hours in the Dallas airport to breathe and looked forward to the long flight ahead. So important, at my age to have my shit together. Wandered around hoping to find a souvenir. After boarding it was a pleasant enough experience. My seatmates were a mother and 10 yr old son originally from Trinidad. They were both interesting people but we didn't talk much as the engine drone overrode easy conversation but they were good people and not inclined to banalities. I brought a book but didn't read it. I fell asleep after dinner & before we flew over Newfoundland and awoke approaching the the Channel in time for breakfast.

 I dreaded CDG from my last experience. PTSD and noise! Once there I breezed through security without losing my shit. This time it was simple except that I forgot my four digit pin at the ATM and used the wrong one for my Wise account for Euros. I had to find an exchange that was open and pay the huge cost. A man behind me was impatient and tried to cut in front of me. He didn't know that the French work at a pace of their own choice. The more we are impatient with them the slower they go. I love it. After I got my money exchanged the cashier closed the booth. I could hear the man complaining from halfway through the terminal while I got my taxi.

I love taxis in Paris from the airport. I have no need for them in town as I walk everywhere. I love walking through strange cities. It's the only way to get to know them. Even with my bad back I endure it for the sake of the experience. I just have to remember to travel lightly.

So, here I am at L'hotel Verlain...should be Verlaine. Ready for an adventure. Plan to do some walking on a mildly rainy day in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment